The original Jacobs Ladder climbing machine was brought to the public 20 years ago. The same model still circulates the commercial and residential gym industry today in 2023, which is quite impressive and an indication of the results provided by such a machine.
Jacobs Ladder has innovated along the way too. New and improved models with the same ladder-climbing concept have been brought to life to meet the specific needs of particular user demographics.
Today we will compare The Jacobs Ladder and Jacobs Ladder 2. As a bonus, we'll compare the newest addition to the lineup, The Jacobs Ladder X.
Jacobs Ladder Vs. Jacobs Ladder 2 Vs. Jacobs Ladder X
Jacobs Ladder Vs. Jacobs Ladder 2: Similarities
The Jacobs Ladder and the Jacobs Ladder 2 are similar in design and functionality. View the list of similarities below:
- 40° Ladder Climbing angle
- 7.5 Feet Ceiling Height Requirement
- Transport Wheels, Handrails, and Digital Information Display
- Welded Tubular Steel Frame and ABS/Polyethylene Encasing
- Made In America and Ships Fully Assembled
- Free 2-Year Warranty
Both machines have fantastic fit and finish, features and extremities, and an aesthetically pleasing design.
So how are they different?
Jacobs Ladder Vs. Jacobs Ladder 2: Differences
The Jacobs Ladder 2 was built to be different from the original Jacob's ladder while maintaining the core features and benefits.
Below are some of the most significant differences between the two ladder-climbing machines.
Size and Weight
Jacobs Ladder: 325 lb. weight and a width of 31.25 inches across the ladder climbing surface.
Jacobs Ladder 2: 300 lb. weight and a width of 27.25 inches across the ladder climbing surface.
Jacobs Ladder 2 is smaller intentionally for residential and commercial gym use.
The machine fits through any standard home doorway with no issue compared to the much wider original Jacobs ladder.
Method of Powering the Machine
The Jacobs Ladder: 100% mechanically user-powered. No power cords.
Jacobs Ladder 2: 110V power requirement to save space inside the machine.
Fit and Finish / Materials
The Jacob's Ladder: Beautiful solid maple ladder rungs.
Jacobs Ladder 2: Solid steel and polyurethane-coated 2-inch ladder rungs
The Jacobs Ladder: Mostly intended for commercial settings.
Jacobs Ladder 2: Designed for smaller facilities and residential settings.
The Jacobs Ladder in January 2023 costs: $5995
Jacobs Ladder 2 in January 2022 costs: $5295
(Stay till the end for an exclusive discount)
Jacob's Ladder X Similarities
The Jacobs Ladder X is the latest and greatest ladder-climbing machine from Jacobs Ladder.
It encompasses the same core functionalities listed above but also some added features and benefits from the past 20 years of innovation.
The similarities are as follows:
- 40-degree angle ladder climbing design
- Handrails, transport wheels, and digital readout display
- Free 2-year warranty on parts, one year on labor
- Built-in America and ships fully assembled.
Jacobs Ladder X Differences
Size and Weight
The Jacobs Ladder X: 375 lb. weight and 30.5-inch width across the ladder climbing surface.
This is heavier than the original Jacob's Ladder and Jacobs ladder 2.
Ceiling Height of 8.5 Feet
The Jacobs Ladder X will require almost a whole foot of extra ceiling space, considering that it is larger.
Fit and Finish / Materials
The Jacobs Ladder X features the same solid maple rungs as the original Jacobs Ladder but is built with laser-cut steel and an ABS plastic casing different from other ladder climbing machines.
Features 4 Workout Positions and New / Improved Digital Display
Probably the most practical difference between the three machines is the newly added exercise positions on the Jacobs Ladder X.
There are not only the same rail handles on the side, but there is now a handle for standing stair stepper exercise and a high-intensity sled drive handlebar near the top.
These variations are provided to add versatility and effectiveness to the machine across many demographics.
The Ultimate Jacobs Ladder Machine Comparison Guide
Which Jacobs Ladder Machine Is The Best?
So now you know how the Jacobs Ladder machines are similar and different, but this information can be used better if we look at the Pros and Cons.
So which Jacob's Ladder is the Best? Let's look at the pros and cons of each one.
The Original Jacobs Ladder Pros and Cons
- All the known Advantages of the Jacobs Ladder
- Wide platform from which to place hands and feet (the width of the machine)
- Self-powered, cordless design allows for convenient portability in any gym
- Side Rails add a level of safety and versatility for exercise.
- Ships Fully assembled, so you can put it in place and start using it immediately.
- Large and bulky machine doesn't fit through most residential doorways
- Some may call the 20-year-old original design outdated
- Less exercise versatility compared to the Jacobs Ladder X
Jacobs Ladder 2 Pros and Cons
- Smaller, more compact design for residential settings and smaller facilities
- Cheapest ladder climber machine from Jacobs Ladder
- Weighs only 300 Lbs. and has transport wheels for easy portability
- Smaller ladder width and climbing space may be a disadvantage for some who prefer a wider surface.
- Requires a 110V power source and power cord. This is designed to save space in the machine, but most would prefer the self-powered machine.
- Less exercise variation compared to the Jacobs Ladder X.
Jacobs Ladder X Pros and Cons
- Larger climbing surface than Jacobs Ladder 2, but slightly smaller than The Jacobs Ladder. It can still fit through some residential doorways.
- Newly added workout positions like the stair climber position, sled drive position, hand-over-hand climb, and assisted side rail climb.
- Self Powered with transport wheels for easy portability
- Removable cup holders
- New digital display
- All the same benefits of ladder climbing exercise and more!
- Heaviest ladder machine of the three, at 375 Lbs.
- Requires ceiling height of 8.5 ft. instead of 7.5 ft.
- Most expensive price tag of the three machines at $6999. (P.S. shop with us and get it cheaper).
So, Which machine is the best? Well, that depends.
The best Ladder climbing machine, with price aside, is the Jacobs Ladder X for its ideal ladder width, improved exercise versatility, and cordless, self-powered design and transport wheels for easy portability.
The Jacobs Ladder 2, though, for some that need a ladder climbing machine for their home or tight facility, will be most optimal for its compact size and weight while maintaining the benefits of ladder climbing exercise.
If you want a larger machine but can't cough up the extra money for the Jacobs Ladder X, the time-tested Jacobs Ladder is perfect for you.
Jacobs Ladder Machine Comparison Overview
Overall, each Jacobs Ladder machine packages up the best qualities and benefits of ladder climbing machines and Taylors towards a specific demographic/user's needs.
The Jacobs Ladder is a middle ground in price and convenience of use in multiple planes to the Jacobs Ladder 2 and Jacobs Ladder X.
Jacobs Ladder X is the high-end, best possible design and features, and of course, the most expensive.
The Jacobs Ladder 2 is perfect for a more conservative, compact machine for ladder climbing exercises.
Whichever one you think is best, we can help you get it with a massive discount as we promised.
Jacobs Ladder Discounts!!!
If this article has been helpful for you in making a decision on which Jacobs Ladder Machine is best and what's the difference between them all, please let us give you the best deal online.
Order it with Select Fitness USA. Get free shipping, no taxes (excluding Illinois), and get up to $1000 off upon contacting us.
If you have any questions, please live chat, call, or email us for an immediate response.
As always, get out there, and achieve your goals!