Matt Gemkow, the author of this content section at Select Fitness USA, boasts more than 15 years of fitness experience. He started out in sports and athletic training for many years and has since 2014 transitioned into heavy-weight training and bodybuilding. As a result, he has become one of the most experienced fitness equipment experts out there, and a valuable source of information.
11 Best Leg Press Machines in 2023 (Leg Press Buyers Guide)
In this resource, we've gone out and done the dirty work for you.
As an equipment retailer, we feel your pain when dealing with so many options on the market to choose from when shopping for a leg press.
That's why we've compiled this list of some of the best options out there on the market.
We will cover some the best leg press machines for different use cases, including home and commercial gyms, as well as the best leg presses from different categories and types.
For our top three recommendations, check these quick highlights....
What is the Best Leg Press Machine?
With so many options on the market, understanding the best leg press machine for YOU is important.
Different leg press machines are made with different purposes in mind and different target users and settings.
We have compiled a list of 11 leg press machines you should seriously consider when purchasing for your home or commercial gym, and we'll go into detail about each one down below.
Here are the shortlisted 11 best leg press machines with our top choice:
(Click to Skip to that Section)
- Best Leg Press For Home | Body Solid GLPH1100
- Best Commercial Leg Press | York Barbell STS Leg Press
- Best Budget Leg Press | Body Solid PVLP156X
- Best Compact Leg Press | Body Solid GCLP100
- Best Premium Leg Press | TKO American Made Linear Leg Press
- Best Leg Press Hack Squat Combo | Body Solid GLPH1100
- Best Vertical Leg Press | Titan Fitness Vertical Leg Press
- Best Leverage Leg Press | Body Solid LVLP Leg Press
- Best 45-Degree Leg Press | TKO Strength 45 Leg Press
- Best Selectorized Cable Leg Press | Bodykore Iso Series GR631
- Honorable Mention | Body-Solid Pro Select GLP-STK
1. Best Leg Press For Home: Body-Solid GLPH1100
The Body Solid GLPH1100 leg press hack squat machine has a smooth quad-track roller system that evenly distributes weight. It has quick flip-and-lock mechanisms on both back pads and sturdy foot platforms for leg press and hack squat positions.
The under-carriage plate load system provides easy access, and the mainframe is made of heavy-duty steel for maximum strength and stability.
The machine includes 4" thick DuraFirm back and shoulder pads that are contoured for support. With a 1,000 lb weight capacity, three safety lockout positions, dual functionality, and affordable price point, this leg press takes the bacon for best home leg press.
Type: Leg Press / Hack Squat
Weight capacity: 1,000 lbs.
Dimensions: 83"L x 34"W x 56"H
Footplate: Medium - 16.5L x 20.5"W
Machine Rating: Home/Commercial
2. Best Commercial Leg Press: York Barbell STS Leg Press
The York STS 35-Degree Incline Leg Press has an extra-wide footplate, heavy-duty linear bearings for smooth movement, and adjustable seat-back for maximal adjustability across many users.
The built-in weight storage keeps weights organized and accessible so they are off your gym floor and out of the way.
With a 1200 lb weight capacity and adjustable safety stops, it's safe for even extreme users.
This leg press is the best investment for serious home gym lifters or commercial facilities.
Type: 35 Degree Incline Leg Press
Machine Weight capacity: 1200 pounds
Dimensions: 98" L x 54-3/4" W x 56" H
Footplate: Extra-wide - 39 1/2" W x 25" H
Machine Rating: Commercial
3. Best Budget Leg Press: Body Solid PVLP156X Vertical Leg Press
The Powerline Vertical Leg Press is a great addition to your leg routine with its unique design that supports your back and hips while taking up minimal space.
It has an extra-thick back pad and a contoured head and neck pad for exercise comfort. The machine also includes dual adjustable locking pins, three starting and stopping positions, and a diamond plate steel deck for no-slip control.
With three standard plate posts for increased resistance, this leg press machine is crafted of durable alloy steel with a powder coat finish for long-lasting reliability.
It's the best leg press machine for those on a budget.
Type: Vertical Leg Press Machine
Weight capacity: 400 lbs
Dimensions: 45"L x 47"W x 55"H
Footplate: Small foot plate with no-slip design
Machine Rating: Home
4. Best Compact Leg Press: Body Solid GCLP100 Compact Leg Press
The Body Solid GCLP100 Compact Leg Press provides high functionality, in a very low space.
Measuring just 47.2" wide and 67.1" deep, this leg press machine is one of the most compact and functional options on the market.
Despite its small size, the GCLP100 is built to perform, featuring chrome-plated guide rods for smooth and seamless movement even at heavy weights.
The GCLP100 is adjustable, compact, holds up to 1000 lbs, and comes in under 1000 dollars, making it a fantastic option if you're limited on space.
Type: Compact Leg Press
Weight capacity: 1,000 lbs
Dimensions: 47.2" wide x 67.1" deep
Footplate: Not specified
Machine Rating: Commercial/Home
5. Best Premium Leg Press: TKO American Made 35-Degree Linear Leg Press
The TKO Strength 35° Linear Leg Press by TKO is a new, Made in the USA leg press that takes the traditional design to the next level.
It has adjustable foot and back pads, accommodating various user heights and improving range of motion for better lower body development.
Other features include an adjustable lumbar seat, chrome knurled handles, and spring-loaded safety limiters.
The sled design and storage pegs have a 3° upward tilt for safety, and the leg press can hold up to 50 45lb plates (not including sled weight).
Type: 35 Linear Leg Press Machine
Weight capacity: 2,250 lbs.
Dimensions: 104" x 80" x 55"
Footplate: Extra Large Multi-Adjustable Footplate
Machine Rating: Commercial
6. Best Leg Press Hack Squat Combo: Body Solid GLPH1100
The best leg press hack squat combo machine happens to also be the best home gym leg press machine.
The Body Solid GLPH1100 leg press hack squat is a dual functional, inexpensive, and high quality machine worth mentioning twice.
7. Best Vertical Leg Press: Titan Fitness Vertical Leg Press Machine
The Titan fitness vertical Leg Press provides a good leg press experience for as low as 400 dollars.
It has four starting height adjustments, three weight plate horns that fit 45 LB Olympic plates, and a diamond-plated footplate.
The angled, extra-thick back pad and headrest ensure comfort while pushing through reps.
It's a great way to strengthen and tone your lower body at home without spending more than 400-500 bucks.
Type: Vertical leg press
Weight capacity: Up to 400 lbs
Dimensions: 48-in x 38-in.
Machine Rating: Home
8. Best Leverage Leg Press: Body Solid LVLP Leg Press
The Body Solid LVLP Leverage Leg Press is constructed with a 2" x 3" 11 gauge steel mainframe, ensuring its durability and stability.
The large pivoting footplate maintains correct foot position throughout the range of motion, while the dual self-aligning 1 1/2" linear bearing seat carriage design easily adjusts to accommodate various foot positions.
Additionally, the machine has fully adjustable back support for proper body alignment and comfort, allowing you to customize your workout to your needs. The 10.75" long-weight plate holders also provide ample plate storage for your convenience.
Type: Leverage Leg Press Machine
Weight capacity: 10-inchweight pegs
Dimensions: 87" x 61" x 56"
Footplate: Large pivoting footplate
Machine Rating: Commercial
9. Best 45 Degree Leg Press: TKO Strength 45 Leg Press
The TKO incline linear leg press machine is a high-quality, high-weight capacity machine that is multi-adjustable to fit many sizes and types of user demographic.
This machine is built with strong gauge steel and covered in a graphite-colored protective finish to resist moisture, scratches, and general wear and tear. It is a commercially rated machine that is built to withstand hours upon hours of daily use.
The TKO linear leg press machine can bear over 1000 lbs. of weight which is more than sufficient for many users in a home or commercial setting.
Type: 45 Degree Incline Leg Press Machine
Weight capacity: 1000 lbs.
Resistance: Plate Loaded
Dimensions: 99" x 69" x 61"
Machine Rating: Commercial
10. Best Seated Leg Press: Bodykore Iso Series GR631
The BodyKore Isolation Series Leg Press/Calf Extension is a versatile leg press machine for commercial facilities.
It has a hinged press plate for smooth leg pressing and calf extensions. With a 220lb weight stack, users can adjust the resistance to their needs.
The non-slip footplate provides security, and multiple seating positions offer a full range of motion.
The machine has a heavy-duty welded frame, stainless steel guide rods, and comfortable marine-grade cushions. It also includes a cup/phone/key holder.
Type: Horizontal Seated Leg Press Machine
Weight capacity: 220 lbs.
Resistance: Selectorized Weight Stack
Dimensions: 67" L x 41" W x 65" H
Machine Rating: Commercial
11. Honorable Mention: Body Solid Pro Select GLP-STK
The Body-Solid GLP-STK Leg Press machine features a 2:1 ratio selectorized weight stack and double beam design to provide consistent and adjustable resistance throughout the full range of motion.
The machine includes a medium-sized, non-slip rubber-covered footplate andside stability handles to lock the user in place.
The Body-Solid Pro Select GLP-STK is an amazing choice for a weight stack cable leg press machine with good features and an affordable price point.
It just barely missed the list, but it needs to be at least mentioned as a runner up.
Type: Horizontal seated leg press machine
Weight capacity: 210 lbs. with optional 310 lb. weight stack
Dimensions: 65"L x 64"W x 71"H
Footplate: Medium rubber-coated plate
Machine Rating: Commercial
Types of Leg Press Machines
- Vertical Leg Press: This type of leg press machine has a vertically oriented rang of motion, and the resistance is applied straight up and down. Vertical leg presses provide a great leg workout and often come in at a fairly cheap price.
- Seated Leg Press: This type of leg press machine has a seat and a horizontally oriented platform for your feet, and the resistance is applied typically from a selectorized weight stack. These offer a simple, safe range of motion and a great lower-body workout.
- Incline Leg Press: This type of leg press features a weight sled that moves up and down a track at typically a 45-degree angle, and the resistance is typically a plate-loaded style. This type is great for commercial and home gym users to want a direct line of resistance with heavy weight loads.
- Iso-Lateral Leg Press: This type of leg press machine has separate platforms for each leg, allowing for unilateral training. It's a good choice for those who want to improve their balance and stability with a more advanced style of leg press machine. These are incline leg presses but feature separate platforms for each foot.
- Leverage Leg Press: This type of leg press machine uses a lever system to apply resistance to the weight plates. It's a good choice for those who want a deep range of motion with lots of back support and a plate-loaded resistance type.
Key Features to Consider In a Leg Press Machine
Type of Leg Press
Consider which type of leg press machine will work best for your needs/wants based on which type of leg press offers the best features for your experience level, space available, budget, other leg press machines already possessed, and the setting of which it will be used.
Make sure the leg press machine you select can accommodate your potential weight load and any additional weight you plan to add to the machine.
A compact leg press, for example, may not be an excellent choice for people that are already experienced and strong with the leg press movement.
And a big 45-degree incline leg press may be overkill for a new user looking to get started.
Commercial or Home Rating
Consider whether you will use the leg press machine in a commercial or home gym setting.
Leg press machines typically are designed and rated for certain settings, which is important to get right.
A commercial leg press will perform just fine in a home setting but may be more expensive than one designed for home use.
A leg press designed for home use may not withstand weight bearing and constant use in a commercial setting.
Make sure the leg press machine you select will fit in the space you have available, and consider the size of the machine when it's fully assembled.
Consider the footplate size on the leg press machine, as a nice large footplate is a luxury that allows for more versatility.
If a large footplate is mandatory for you, make sure you choose accordingly.
Look for a leg press machine with high-quality materials that can withstand heavy use over time.
The more expensive and commercially designed machines will be made of high quality.
Most machines are backed by a quality warranty as well, which should be noted in your chosen machine.
When buying a leg press, your budget and cash on hand for purchase will certainly affect which one you ultimately choose.
Look for a leg press machine that offers the features you need at a price you can afford.
Benefits of Having a Leg Press in Your Home Or Facility
- Efficient and Effective Leg Workouts: Leg press machines allow you to target multiple lower body muscle groups with one machine, making your workouts more efficient and effective, adding a new way to train your legs.
- Customizable Workout Pace: With a leg press machine, you can easily adjust the weight and footplate position to customize your workout and target specific muscle groups at many different rep ranges.
- Improved Lower Body Strength: Regular use of a leg press machine can help you build lower body strength and improve your overall balance and stability.
- Low Risk of Injury: Using a leg press machine with proper form can help reduce the risk of injury when performing lower body exercises.
- Convenience: A leg press machine in your home allows you to work out on your own schedule and without needing to travel to a gym.
- Versatility: Leg press machines can be used for various things on a leg day's workout, such as warm-ups, heavy compound workouts, supplements to another exercise like the squat, and burnouts at the end of a workout.
Related: 11 Benefits Of A Leg Press Machine
Is a Leg Press Machine Worth The Money?
A leg press machine is a valuable investment for those seeking to develop leg strength and muscle mass beyond traditional exercises like squats and deadlifts.
In addition to providing a safe and effective means of performing leg exercises, a leg press machine enables progressive overload. This means you can increase the weight as you get stronger, constantly challenging your legs.
Having a leg press machine in your home gym or facility is an excellent way to keep your workouts engaging and varied. It can help you or your members stay motivated and excited for leg day, as it offers versatility and the opportunity to target multiple muscle groups with one machine.
To sum things up, which leg press you get from the list of 11 best leg press machines above will depend on your experience level, budget, setting for the machine, and other details about the machine's footplate, dimensions, and weight capacity.
Whether you're new to weight lifting and need something to train your legs at a beginner level, or you own a powerlifting gym and need a new leg press to challenge the monsters in your facility, we have you covered.
These are our 11 best suggestions for a leg press machine for multiple types of users, but we also have many more.
To see them all, check out our full leg press machine collection and contact us with any machine you have questions about.
Go get those leg-day gains!